WHO ARE WE?
Sigma Systems is the global leader in catalog-driven software solutions for communications, media and high-tech companies. With offices in North and South America, Europe and the Asia Pacific region, we serve over 80 customers in 40 countries with our award-winning products. Sigma supports a wide variety of services, including enhanced TV, on-demand video, service management, and voice and high-speed data communications.
When you join Sigma Systems, you are a part of an award-winning company that truly cares about its employees. We have been named one of Canada’s top 25 software companies by the Branham Group. We are also proud to be recognized as one of Greater Toronto’s Top Employers by The Globe and Mail, and have also received the Gold Standard in the category of Canada’s Best Managed Companies from Deloitte.
We are looking for a Legal Counsel to work with our awesome team. If you are someone who prides themselves in being innovative, dedicated, agile, driven to exceed expectations and a champion of celebrating success, we want to hear from you!
Working closely with the General Counsel and CFO, the Legal Counsel is an active member supporting the management and sales teams, providing effective and timely legal support with the purpose of accelerating the organization’s achievement of its strategic objectives while mitigating legal risks and protecting the company’s interests.
You will be a close liaison to business in providing a variety of corporate and commercial legal services. Draft, review and negotiate major and/or non-standard technology contracts with customers, including licensing agreements (SaaS and on premises licenses), professional services agreements and hosting services agreements. Advise on legal issues involving government and regulatory compliance. Respond to ad hoc queries to include identification, analysis and evaluation of risks in order to provide appropriate legal solutions. Coordinate legal matters handled by outside lawyers as needed.
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR DAY
- Maintain and uphold worldwide corporate legal policies and procedures and contract templates required for appropriate corporate governance
- Draft, negotiate and administer standard and nonstandard contracts with customers, partners and suppliers, with emphasis on software related agreements
- Evaluate contract performance to determine necessity for amendments to or extensions of contracts, and compliance with contractual obligations
- Provide proactive corporate governance support including advisory services to the directors and corporate officers
- Co-ordinate, and optimize use of external counsel and supervises the corporate contracts administration
- Co-ordinate world-wide legal issues relating to; contracts, insurance, leases, employment, taxation, securities et cetera
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE
- Minimum of 3 years’ post call experience gained at a top tier firm and/or in-house department
- Emphasis on technology and commercial law
- Strong commercial drafting skills
- Experience with drafting and negotiating software related agreements including IT licensing agreements
- Data protection, GDRP, and privacy experience an asset
- Detailed oriented
- Excellent time management, communications, decision-making, presentation, writing and organizational skills
- Excellent business sense a must; businessperson first, lawyer second
For us, it’s all about our people. Our team is what makes us great and it’s who we are the most proud of. When you walk into any Sigma office around the world, you’ll immediately feel a part of something special. Apart from working with our amazing team, you’ll enjoy the following:
- A comprehensive benefits plan
- 401K Contribution Plan
- External Corporate Discount Program
- Professional Development Program
- Employee Recognition Program
- A flexible work environment and collaborative tools to enable you to work with the global team
At Sigma, our employees’ wellbeing and development is a core principle. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe in diversity and inclusion. If this sounds like a team you want to be a part of, don’t hesitate to apply. We would love to hear from you.
Sigma welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.