Reporting to the Director, Engineering, the Development Manager role includes both product and line management responsibilities.
- The Development Manager is responsible for multiple Sigma products, and in general, act in the lead role on projects covering those products. Where a product or project has a Development Lead in place, then the Development Manager will still have overall responsibility for the product.
- Responsibility includes working with the Product team to inform the direction of the product; leading project work; provide project timelines; provide visibility of progress and supporting released versions of the product.
- The Development Manager has line management responsibility for a number of developers and possibly development leads. So, this responsibility includes setting individuals objectives; helping them achieve their objectives; where applicable helping with career planning and training etc.
- This individual participates in the design of future products as well as define and drive the ongoing maturity of the Sigma development methodology and practices.
- This person is team and goal oriented; with a drive for maintaining a strong team spirit and a hands-on approach
- Engage with product management and generate documentation as specified by the Sigma Systems development process.
- Engage with Product management to understand functional and business requirements
- Engineer quality, maintainable and testable code.
- Ensure all team deliverables are completed on specification, quality and according to agreed timelines.
- Participate in product and architecture development and design.
- Engage with program / project manager to produce project timelines
- Provide feedback and status of development
- Inform program / project manager of progress and surface project related issues impacting specification, quality or schedule.
- Engage with program / project manager through development cycle to mitigate risks to quality and / or project schedule.
- Participate with other engineering disciplines to ensure successful project delivery.
- Manage and mentor developers of different levels to help both their career goals and personal development objectives.
- Own the Performance Review process for direct reports.
- Own and seek to improve the recruiting, hiring, onboarding, motivating and retention of the team.
- Champion and demonstrate the Sigma culture and values
- Application Development
- Analyzing Data
- Business Acumen
- Adapting to Change
- Communicating Effectively
- Championing Customer Needs
- Decision Making
- Critical Thinking
- Agile Methodologies
- Displaying Creativity
- MS Office – Excel, Word, PPT
- Displaying Technical Expertise
- Presentation Skills
- Leading Others in Change
- Problem Solving
- Setting Objectives
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Honors degree in computing or a related subject, or commensurate industry experience.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Extensive experience building, testing, and deploying high quality, highly reliable, scalable enterprise applications in Java/J2EE, webservices, APIs, open source technologies and user-interfaces in a team environment.
- Experience with nodeJS would be a plus
- Extensive Experience working on Product development using an agile methodology
- The management and technical skills necessary to manage a team of Software Developers and ensure products are shipped in a timely fashion and with high quality standards.
- Demonstrated technical leadership / mentoring skills
- Experience in line management of developers
- Experience in the management of external resources and programs
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Excellent work ethic, initiative, self-motivated and demonstrated ability to deliver high value products in a team environment
Sigma Systems is the fastest path to creating, selling and delivering digital products and services. The company’s portfolio spans enterprise-wide product & service catalog, configure price quote, order management, service provisioning and device management – all of which can be deployed in the cloud or on-premise. Sigma software is enabling product innovation and business agility at large communications, media and high-tech service providers globally.
We offer a fast-paced, success-oriented work environment fueled by the talent, skills and expertise of our employees. We offer competitive salaries, performance-based incentives, a world of career opportunities and a comprehensive benefits package.
Our corporate values of innovation, dedication and agility allow us to exceed expectations while saluting success along the way.
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, apply today to join our team and help us do things The Sigma Way!