Job Title: Development Manager
Reports To: Director
Reporting to the Director, Engineering, the Development Manager role includes both product and line management responsibilities.
- The Development Manager is responsible for multiple Sigma products, and in general, act in the lead role on projects covering those products. Where a product or project has a Development Lead in place, then the Development Manager will still have overall responsibility for the product.
- Responsibility includes working with the Product team to inform the direction of the product; leading project work; provide project timelines; provide visibility of progress and supporting released versions of the product.
- The Development Manager has line management responsibility for a number of developers and possibly development leads. So, this responsibility includes setting individuals objectives; helping them achieve their objectives; where applicable helping with career planning and training etc.
- This individual participates in the design of future products as well as define and drive the ongoing maturity of the Sigma development methodology and practices.
- This person is team and goal oriented; with a drive for maintaining a strong team spirit and a hands-on approach
- Engage with product management and generate documentation as specified by the Sigma Systems development process.
- Engage with Product management to understand functional and business requirements
- Engineer quality, maintainable and testable code.
- Ensure all team deliverables are completed on specification, quality and according to agreed timelines.
- Participate in product and architecture development and design.
- Engage with program / project manager to produce project timelines
- Provide feedback and status of development
- Inform program / project manager of progress and surface project related issues impacting specification, quality or schedule.
- Engage with program / project manager through development cycle to mitigate risks to quality and / or project schedule.
- Participate with other engineering disciplines to ensure successful project delivery.
- Manage and mentor developers of different levels to help both their career goals and personal development objectives.
- Own the Performance Review process for direct reports.
- Own and seek to improve the recruiting, hiring, onboarding, motivating and retention of the team.
- Champion and demonstrate the Sigma culture and values
- Application Development
- Analyzing Data
- Business Acumen
- Adapting to Change
- Communicating Effectively
- Championing Customer Needs
- Decision Making
- Critical Thinking
- Agile Methodologies
- Displaying Creativity
- MS Office – Excel, Word, PPT
- Displaying Technical Expertise
- Presentation Skills
- Leading Others in Change
- Problem Solving
- Setting Objectives
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Honors degree in computing or a related subject, or commensurate industry experience.
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Extensive experience building, testing, and deploying high quality, highly reliable, scalable enterprise applications in Java/J2EE, webservices, APIs, open source technologies and user-interfaces in a team environment.
- Experience with nodeJS would be a plus
- Extensive Experience working on Product development using an agile methodology
- The management and technical skills necessary to manage a team of Software Developers and ensure products are shipped in a timely fashion and with high quality standards.
- Demonstrated technical leadership / mentoring skills
- Experience in line management of developers
- Experience in the management of external resources and programs
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Excellent work ethic, initiative, self-motivated and demonstrated ability to deliver high value products in a team environment